My Mom taught me to read before I started kindergarten, and once I mastered Go, Dog, Go! (P.D. Eastman), there was no stopping me! I read voraciously throughout my childhood. I devoured Dr. Seuss and the Ant and Bee books (does anyone else remember these?) and soon moved onto chapter books. Many of my favorite series were discovered through my second-grade teacher who read aloud to us at the end of every day (thanks, Mrs. Holzschuh!) These ten books or series were among my all-time favorites:
- A Wrinkle in Time and all of its sequels by Madeleine L’Engle
- The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
- Nancy Drew series by Carolyn Keene
- Trixie Belden series by Kathryn Kenny
- Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
- Katie John by Mary Calhoun
- Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret by Judy Blume
- The Borrowers series by Mary Norton
- Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
What were the favorite books of your childhood?
Hmmm, this is a bit easier than your other question about books that surprise you. I also loved The Chronicles of Narnia and The Secret Garden. Some others were:
Alan Garner's 'Elidor' and 'The Owl Service'
Henry Treece's Viking Sagas
'Winnie the Pooh' by AA Milne
'The Silver Sword' by Ian Serrailler
Edward Lear's nonsense poems
'Black Beauty' by Anna Sewell
'Moonfleet' by J Meade Faulkner
'White Boots' Noel Streatfield
'The Family from One End Street' by Eve Garnett
And I loved the Tin Tin books by Herge.
I got such pleasure from reading as a child. A pleasure I still enjoy. Thanks Sue for letting me remember those books.
Post a Comment