Summertime and the reading is easy...and a lot of fun! We're settled back into a routine at home and mostly caught up after our long trip.
What we've been reading this week:
- Jamie, 15, finished his first Stephen King book, Firestarter. He was impressed with King's writing and the intense suspense of the book, though a bit disappointed in the ending (I read it so long ago, I don't remember how it ends!)
- A good friend of ours, a 16-year old girl, has been telling us for years that her favorite series of all time is The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare, so last week, Jamie picked up a copy of the first book, City of Bones, with a Target gift card. He finished it yesterday and said it was excellent - he's looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
- Craig, 12, finished Sounder by William H. Armstrong last night. He liked it but said the ending was really sad. He has one more book to read for school this summer, one of his choosing from a list of about ten choices.
- I finished The Sunday Philosopher's Club by Alexander McCall Smith but then didn't feel well enough to go to the book discussion at the library on Wednesday!
- As soon as I finished that book, I dove back into The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson. Wow! I finished it yesterday. It was just as good as the first book, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - fast-paced, well-written, and so compelling I could hardly set it down! As a bonus, I also got to see the Swedish movie of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo with a friend this weekend. Another wow! The movie was very well-done. I can't wait to borrow the third book from my mom this weekend.
- I just started a middle-grade novel, William S. and the Great Escape by Ziplha Keatley Snyder. Jamie read it on vacation and said it was excellent.
What are you and your family reading this week?
(What are you reading Mondays is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey).
I just bought City of Bones and hope to read it soon. I need to get to The girl Who Played with Fire and have the third to read as well although my sister didn't like it as well as the first two. I will have to go and read your review of Oracles of Delphi. Have a great week.
I have the trilogy of City of Bones, but have still not read any of the books. I keep saying I'll find the time, but no time.
I'm glad you like the first Larssen movie. I really want to read those books, but no time. I am going on holidays soon and am bringing that trilogy with me so hopefully I will finish it then
Enjoy your reading week!
Sue can I just come over and pull books off your shelf? :) I have the first book in the City Of Bones series and have heard such good things but have not got to it yet. I also purchased last week The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and want to read that series as well. :)
Sure, Sheila! The bookshelves are all overflowing anyway - help yourself!
Sheila, Stephanie, and Jan-
Definitely make time for both series! They're worth it.
Post a Comment