Thursday, January 6, 2011

Top Ten Kids/Teen Books Read in 2010

I know you've all been waiting breathlessly for this...my list of Top Ten Kids/Teens Books I Read in 2010!  Note that these are books I read in 2010, not necessarily 2010 releases (though many are).  I had a very hard time narrowing down this list to only ten.  It was an excellent year for kids/teen/YA books.

Here are my Top Ten, in no particular order:
Let's see...we have two from Neal Schusterman - I love his fast-paced otherworldly adventures.   Two excellent series that straddle the middle-grade and teen markets:  Leviathan and Pendragon.  There are a couple of repeat series from my 2009 Top Ten List: Pendragon (told you it was a favorite) and the final book in the Hunger Games trilogy.  And, I have some sequels from this list to look forward to in 2011, the sequels to Behemoth, Incarceron (the Sapphique audio is waiting here for our next road trip!), and Everwild.

All in all, a very good year for kids' and teen books!

Check out my list of Top Ten Grown-up Books I Read in 2010 at Book By Book.

What were your favorite books from 2010?

5 comments:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Great List. Here's my thoughts...
* Pendragon 9 and 10 by D.J. MacHale, (High School Kids love this series. I haven't read any yet...but will now.)
* Everwild by Neal Schusterman, (Several boys are very high on these books. The third book comes out later this year. I just flagged it on Amazon today.)
* The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo (I love Kate's body of work but too young for high schoolers)
* Unwind by Neal Schusterman (I am really high on this book, too.)
* Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (I'm picking up the audio version tonight! Good timing of this list)
* Leviathan and Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld (Seems to have a mild following, I liked it but wasn't crazy about it)
* Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (What a wonderful series)
* The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (I really adore this book)
* Half Brother by Kenneth Oppel (My team of students just voted this book to be a Mock Printz Honor book...See my upcoming blog later tonight on that event)
*What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell (I though Blundell did a good job with the authenticity of the period references.)

Sue Jackson said...

oooh, thanks for the detailed feedback, Anne! And it's so interesting to hear the perspective of your students, too. We loved the audio of Incarceron- hope you enjoy it!

Sue

ibeeeg said...

Of course I was waiting breathlessly for your list. :)

I have had my eye on Leviathan...must get to that read.
Mockingjay would not be on my list...if I took the time to create one specific for kids/teens....but I know most people seemed to love this book.
I am curious about the other titles you have listed...need to look into them especially Pendragon.
Oh yeah, must not forget...I think The Graveyard will be heading its way on to my top 10 favorite reads of the year...not sure yet cause the list isn't finalized but fairly certain.
Thanks for sharing.

Melissa said...

I loved Mockingjay of course. Just finished Incarceron this week and thought it was great. Three of the Pendragon books are sitting on my nightstand so I hope to get to those soon. I have the audiobook to Everlost but haven't listened to it yet. And, finally, The Graveyard Book was awesome. Probably one of my favorite listens this year. Definitely in the top ten.

jedi145 said...

i LOVE the Pendragon series ! :D