So, we're asking for your help! Craig generally enjoys fast-paced books with action, adventure, and/or humor. Some of his favorites are The Hardy Boys, the Charlie Bone series, A Wrinkle in Time, and Bruce Coville's Unicorn Chronicles and Aliens series. So, please let us know if you'd recommend any of the books on this list - thanks!
- Banner in the Sky by James Ramsey Ullman (1955 Newberry Honor award - about a boy climbing the Matterhorn)
- Brian's Song screenplay by William Blinn
- Gifted Hands: the Ben Carson Story by Ben Carson (autobiography of inner city kid who becomes a top neurosurgeon)
- Let the Circle Be Unbroken by Mildred D. Taylor (in 1935, a black man is tried for murder by an all-white jury)
- The Lottery Rose by Irene Hunt (an abused boy slowly begins to heal at a home for boys)
- Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse (1998 Newberry medal winner set in Depression-era Oklahoma dust bowl)
- Scorpions by Walter Dean Myers (1988 Newberry winner about a boy who's pressured to join a gang)
- Somewhere in the Darkness by Walter Dean Myers (convict father takes teen son on the run with him)
- Thank You, Jackie Robinson by Barbara Cohen (interracial friendship between a boy and a man joined by a love of baseball)
- Time of the Cay by Theodore Taylor (follow-up to The Cay, about a white boy stranded on a desert island and the black man who saves him)
- Titanic Crossing by Barbara Williams (story of 13-year old boy on the Titanic - mixed reviews)
- The View From Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg (1996 Newberry winner about a 6th grade academic bowl team)
- The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (a Newberry winner - mystery about 16 people in a strange game having to do with a strange will)
So what do you think? Which book would you choose?