Reading saved my sanity last week!! I kept my book with me while I was sitting at the computer desk for hours at a time and read while I waited for various things to load, erase, and re-load. Here's what we read last week:
- I finished Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater, the novel about teens who turn into wolves and vice-versa, and ended up loving it! A very pleasant surprise since I don't usually like paranormal romance.
- Next, I read one of my Christmas presents from my husband, Ken: Room by Emma Donoghue. WOW. What an amazing book. One of the best I've read. I finished it on Saturday, and I'm still thinking about it.
- Now I'm reading a middle-grade novel, Eliza's Freedom Road: An Underground Railroad Diary by Jerdine Nolen. It's very good so far - fascinating.
- I just moments ago finished an audio book, The Three Weissmann's of Westport by Cathleen Schine. It really grew on me; I enjoyed it.
- My husband, Ken, read Gone by Lisa McMann, the last book in the teen trilogy, Wake and Fade.
- During one of my 4 trips to the mall to fix my computer, I stopped into Borders and treated myself to some new books with my Christmas gift cards - that cheered me up a bit! I also browsed the BOGOF clearance rack and got two for me and two for Ken. He started one of them this week, Golf Dads by Curt Sampson, a book of essays about fathers, sons, and golf (right up his alley!)
- He has also started Under the Dome by Stephen King, a big undertaking at 1074 pages! We've both been wanting to read that one.
- Jamie, 16, read The Books of Umber 2: Dragon Games by P.W. Catanese, a series he is really enjoying. He wanted to re-read Book 1 first but couldn't find it. Could it be we have too many books in this house?? He thinks he read another book this week but can't remember what it was. Besides the computer problems, we had several snow days last week - things are just in turmoil around here!
- Today Jamie started The Islands of the Blessed by Nancy Farmer, the last book in the trilogy that began with The Sea of Trolls.
- Jamie is also reading The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald for his American Literature class. Definitely an American classic.
- Craig, 13, is reading The Last Hunt by Bruce Coville, the fourth and final book in one of his all-time favorite series, The Unicorn Chronicles.
What are you and your family reading this week?
(What are you reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.)