Back to school time! Craig just got on his bus, and Jamie starts tomorrow - one down and one to go!
School days memories...this photo was taken on Craig's first day of kindergarten and Jamie's first day of 4th grade. Now they're starting 7th grade and 11th grade (and they're both taller than I am!). Where did the years go?
Enough reminiscing...I'm sure you'd rather hear about reading! We enjoyed some good books last week...
- I finished The Little Book by Selden Edwards, a birthday gift from Ken. I really enjoyed this book - it was one of those that I liked more and more the more I read. It's a time travel story of a man who travels from 1988 San Francisco to 1897 Vienna, with all of the thought-provoking moral dilemmas that I love in a time travel story, as he inadvertently runs into famous historical figures like Mark Twain and Sigmund Freud as well as some of his own family members.
- I just started Ruined, a new teen ghost story by Paula Morris. I'm loving this book so far since it's set in my favorite place, New Orleans (we used to live there).
- Jamie, 16, finished and loved Congo by Michael Crichton, which we gave him for his birthday. I think it's Crichton's best novel, about an ape who can communicate with sign language.
- Craig, 12, finished his summer reading assignment, The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin, the day before school started! I tried to encourage him to start a new book just for fun last night, but no go. The good news is that his English teacher is thinking of not using the Accelerated Reader (AR) program this year so that her students can read any book they want (AR is a computerized system - you have to choose a book on your school's AR list, then take a quiz when you finish). That would be very good since the new books we get for review are never on the AR list yet!
- My husband, Ken, finished The Girl Who Played with Fire and immediately picked up The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - he's hooked on this exciting series!
What are you and your family reading this week?
(What are you reading Mondays is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey).