Monday, August 30, 2010

It's Monday 8/30! What Are You Reading?


Back to school time!  Craig just got on his bus, and Jamie starts tomorrow - one down and one to go! 

School days memories...this photo was taken on Craig's first day of kindergarten and Jamie's first day of 4th grade.  Now they're starting 7th grade and 11th grade (and they're both taller than I am!).  Where did the years go?

Enough reminiscing...I'm sure you'd rather hear about reading!  We enjoyed some good books last week...
  • I finished The Little Book by Selden Edwards, a birthday gift from Ken.  I really enjoyed this book - it was one of those that I liked more and more the more I read.  It's a time travel story of a man who travels from 1988 San Francisco to 1897 Vienna, with all of the thought-provoking moral dilemmas that I love in a time travel story, as he inadvertently runs into famous historical figures like Mark Twain and Sigmund Freud as well as some of his own family members.
  • I just started Ruined, a new teen ghost story by Paula Morris.  I'm loving this book so far since it's set in my favorite place, New Orleans (we used to live there).
  • Jamie, 16, finished and loved Congo by Michael Crichton, which we gave him for his birthday.  I think it's Crichton's best novel, about an ape who can communicate with sign language.
  • Craig, 12, finished his summer reading assignment, The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin, the day before school started!  I tried to encourage him to start a new book just for fun last night, but no go.  The good news is that his English teacher is thinking of not using the Accelerated Reader (AR) program this year so that her students can read any book they want (AR is a computerized system - you have to choose a book on your school's AR list, then take a quiz when you finish).  That would be very good since the new books we get for review are never on the AR list yet!
  • My husband, Ken, finished The Girl Who Played with Fire and immediately picked up The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - he's hooked on this exciting series!
Last week, I posted reviews of The Reminder, a teen novel by Rune Michaels, and Hide and Seek, a suspenseful middle-grade novel by Katy Grant that our whole family loved.

What are you and your family reading this week?

(What are you reading Mondays is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey).

10 comments:

Julie said...

The Little Book sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out. I am reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest as well. I hope he's enjoying it!

Andrea said...

Oooh, Congo. I've always wanted to read that one and never have. Love Crichton.
Did your son like The Westing Game? Love that one too.

Kristen said...

I loved The Westing Game growing up and I have Ruined on my TBR list. I love going back to school as a librarian but it's hard after being able to read as much as I have this summer.

Heather said...

Hey! I have The Little Book and had completely forgot about it! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it so much!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Oh love the picture! My boys are all grown - Justin is in College and Brad is in the Navy.... holy empty nester here :)

Ruined sounds good!

susan said...

Ruined is on my tbr. Glad to hear you like it.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

All of the books sound great! I hope the films based on Larsson's books live up to the excitement of the books.

Laura @ I'm Booking It said...

What a fun week! I still need to give my daughter my copy of The Westing Game to read-- I loved that book, I think she'll love it too.

Sue Jackson said...

@Andrea -
Oh, you definitely have to read Congo! It's great! Yes, Craig did enjoy the Westing Game.

@Heather -
Yes, definitely give The Little Book a try. It was highly recommended from our local bookstore. I thought it was a little slow starting - lots of backstory and description but once it gets rolling, you can't put it down!

@Sheila -
We'll be there before too long - Jamie starts his junior year of HS tomorrow!

@Mary -
I already saw the Swedish films of the first two books, and they were both excellent!! I can't imagine the Hollywood versions being any better.

Sue

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Your family has been busy with books - how great! I heard Little Book was different but good.

Have a great week Sue