Monday, July 16, 2012

It's Monday 7/16! What Are You Reading?


Whew, another crazy busy week.  I literally had appointments every single day last week - run, run, run!  Fortunately, all that time in waiting rooms gave me some extra reading time...a silver lining!

Here's what we read last week:
  • I finished The Postmistress by Sarah Blake...almost in time for the book discussion at my library!  I had 10 pages to go when it was time for the meeting, so I finished it right afterward.  It was a good book, and it sparked some great discussions!  I'll post a review this week.
  • Although I normally alternate between kids' books and grown-up books, I had another library book/discussion book that I couldn't wait to read!  I am reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline to prepare for a book discussion on one of my favorite podcasts, The Readers.  I've been hearing great things about this novel since it was published a year ago and am so glad I finally got to it.  It is really, really good, a story about a teen in 2045 who is competing in a huge worldwide online game inside the virtual reality world where most of Earth's human residents now spend their waking hours.  The game's creator (a sort of Gates/Zuckerberg geek success) was obsessed with the 80's, so the novel - and the game - are filled with 80's pop culture references.  It's a great story and lots of fun!
  • My husband, Ken, is still reading George R.R. Martin's A Clash of Kings (Book 2)...and will be for a while!  He's enjoying this hefty book.
  • Jamie, 17, is busy with school work but found time to continue reading David Eddings' The Elenium Trilogy.  He finished book 2, The Ruby Knight, and is now reading book 3, The Sapphire Rose.  He seems to be enjoying this series by one of his dad's favorite authors!
  • Craig, 14, is still reading Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, one of his required reading books for the summer.  He's enjoying it and finding it interesting, but he'd rather be out with his friends than reading!
I lugged my laptop along to several appointments last week, so I also had time to catch up on a few reviews while sitting in waiting rooms!  I reviewed two of my Big Book Summer readsOutlander by Diana Gabaldon and Blood Red Road by Moira Young, a teen/YA post-apocalyptic novel.  I also posted a summary of Books Read in June (better late than never!).


There are eight of us now participating in the Big Book Summer Challenge, and reviews are being posted, so check it out.  There's still plenty of time left in the summer to read a big book, so join the fun!  And if you are already participating, be sure to add your own big book review links!


What are you and your family reading this week?


(What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, with a kid/teen version hosted by Teach Mentor Texts.)

7 comments:

Nise' said...

Ready Player One is on my must listen to list this summer. I am half way through Clash of Kings on audio. Loved Blood Red Road and look forward to the next book.

The Brunette Librarian said...

We almost picked the Postmistress for a book club pick this year. Next month we are going to be picking some new books, I am definitely going to suggest that one :)

Happy reading this week!
The Brunette Librarian Blog

The Relentless Reader said...

I'm going to go check out the Big Book Summer Challenge! Thanks for mentioning it!

therelentlessreader.blogspot.com

Kellee said...

I love Blood Red Road (it just was announced that it is a finalist for the Walden Award from ALAN which I'm lucky enough to be on the committee). I loved how unique it was.

Once again thank you for sharing all of the wonderful things your family is reading.

Happy reading this week! :)

Heidi’sbooks said...

I've been looking at Ready Player One ever since BookJourney posted a review. My 2 high school children have to read The Scarlet Letter for their summer assignment, plus answer questions over each chapter. They haven't even started. I think there is going to be weeping and wailing when they finally get going on it.

Sue Jackson said...

Heidi -

Ouch...The Scarlet Letter is some heavy summer reading! Craig has actually been enjoying Outliers, but is dreading his second required book, The Time of the Butterflies...looks pretty girly to him!! I'm sure there will be weeping and wailing here,too!

Sue

Elisha German said...

I read The Postmistress for my book club, I liked it but there was a few mixed review in the club. I hope you enjoyed it:)

New follower btw, have a great rest of the week!

BookJunkieMom.blogspot.com