- We gave Jamie, our 17-year old son who is an avid reader, lots of books because that's his favorite kind of gift! The most anticipated one was Inheritance by Christopher Paolini, the long-awaited conclusion to the series that began with Eragon. Despite its huge size, he lugged it through airports for our trip to visit his Granddad in Oklahoma. In fact, he's reading it right now!
- We also gave him I Am Number Four and The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore. We watched the movie adaptation of I Am Number Four a while back, and he really wanted to read the book and its sequel.
- We also gave him Patrick Ness' highly acclaimed trilogy, Chaos Walking: The Knife of Never Letting Go, The Ask and the Answer, and Monsters of Men. This was in part due to the many great reviews I read on other book blogs, so thank you for the recommendations!
- Jamie also got a Far Side cartoon book - he loves those.
- Jamie asked for a video game, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for Christmas, and when I discovered there was a follow-up novel, I knew he would love it! The book is called The Elder Scrolls: The Infernal City.
- We gave both our sons 4 Harry Potter DVDs, to round out their collection!
- For my 9-year old niece, I picked out Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu, a new middle-grade release by an online friend of mine - it's magical and engaging (I just finished listening to the audio). It's longer than most of the books my niece has read so far, but she was enchanted by the illustrations, the cover, and what I told her about it. I love to see kids excited about books!
- We gave my 5-year old nephew Whoo's There? A Bedtime Shadow Book, a very cool book with cut-out illustrations that you project on the wall using a flashlight. Our kids used to have a similar book when they were little and loved it.
So, how about you? What kids and teen books did you give and receive this holiday season?