Today is my birthday! Happy Birthday to me - ha ha. I am celebrating by relaxing alone at home - ahhhh! My sons are off on their grandparents' sailboat for a week, so my husband and I are enjoying a rare bit of peace and quiet. Life is so easy with just the two of us - we haven't run the dishwasher in 2 days, and it's still not full!
|My 8th birthday!|
We had a good reading week:
- I finished reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, and I
LOVED this unique novel! It is just so much fun but has some depth to
it as well. I found myself thinking about the characters days after I'd
finished the book - always the sign of a good novel. I can't wait to
listen to the book discussion of it on The Readers, one of my favorite book podcasts. And my husband and son will love this book, too!
- Now I am reading Sharp North by Patrick Cave, a teen/YA dystopian novel that has been sitting on my TBR shelf for far too long. My Big Book Summer Challenge motivated me to finally read it.
- I am listening to Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt, a middle-grade audio book that won an Odyssey Award for Excellence in Audio Book Production. I can see why it won an award - I am loving it so far and hoping to have more time to listen with the kids gone this week!
- I also read another graphic novel that Scholastic sent me: Drama by Raina Telgemeier. I really enjoyed this story about a middle school musical production, especially since my son had the lead role in his middle school's musical this spring!
- My husband, Ken, is still reading George R.R. Martin's A Clash of Kings (Book 2). He wants to read Ready Player One before I return it to the library but is too immersed in this hefty tome for now!
- Jamie, 17, finished The Sapphire Rose, Book 3 in David Eddings' Elenium Trilogy. He really enjoyed this fantasy series that his Dad recommended.
- Jamie told me on the phone this morning that he is now reading The Rogue Crew by Brian Jacques. He LOVED the Redwall series when he was younger and just discovered this one title that he'd never read before. It was his first-ever purchase at his college bookstore! And he loves to read books about sailing or the ocean while he is on the sailboat.
- Craig, 14, finished the first of two required summer reading books this week, Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. He found it interesting, and is now enjoying a break from reading during his vacation (yes, I have one son who brings an extra bag full of books on vacation and another who doesn't read at all on vacation!).
My Big Book Summer Challenge is well underway, but there is still time to participate if you have a big book (or two) that you'd like to read this summer. Check out the challenge and the links to some big book reviews!
What are you and your family reading this week?
(What are you reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, with a kids/teen version hosted at Teach Mentor Texts.)
What great reads! I've been wanting to read READY PLAYER ONE since I heard about it last summer on one of my favorite book podcasts, Books on the Nightstand. I will check it out at my library. And I'm dying to read Drama. I loved Smile! Happy Reading!
BOTNS is my favorite podcast, too! That's probably where I first heard of Ready Player One, too - I remember Michael's rave review!
Happy Birthday! Fabulous reading list. I *really* want to read Drama. Smile is just about my favorite graphic novel.
I just started the Ready Player One audiobook today on the treadmill. Stayed on for 5 miles. This was too long for my current fitness level but I wanted to keep listening! And Hmm. I don't know that podcast. Will have to check it out.
Happy Birthday! July must be the best month of all. :) Anyway, I just noticed that you are hosting the Big Book Summer Challenge. I read way too many big books, and I actually need to read a few smaller ones. The book I just read was over 500 pages. I'll join up!
I love Okay for Now & any of Gary Schmidt's books, actually. Thanks for all the good ideas. I always like reading about your family! I'm sorry I missed your summer read challenge; I just finished Divergent & Insurgent this summer! Both good.
And-happiest of birthdays to you! Hope it was a terrific day!
Our lives are synced up again. I am currently both reading and listening to Ready Player One and love it. I have been putting in a few hours a day at my library repairing books and listening to this marvelous book. My daughter's new husband picked up my print book and I could see that he, too, want to read it.
Have a nice quiet, relaxing week.
I love Okay For Now! I didn't listen to the audio but I love good audiobooks and I already know it's a great story so I may have to look for the audio. I think Raina did a fantastic job with Drama. So good!
Happy Birthday! Happy reading this week. :)
Check out what I'm reading at Between the Bind.
Post a Comment