Monday, March 18, 2013

It's Monday 3/18! What Are You Reading?


We had a long and tiring weekend here, but it was good to spend time with family. My dad and his wife spent the weekend with us, and we all went to my uncle's funeral on Saturday. So, we didn't have a lot of time for reading last week (or blogging), but we did fit in some good books:
  • I finished Crispin - The Cross of Lead by Avi. My husband and son were right - it was an excellent middle-grade novel!
  • I broke with tradition and read another kid/teen/YA novel instead of alternating with a grown-up book. Last night, I finished Stolen by Lucy Christopher, an award-winning YA novel from the perspective of a teen girl who's been abducted. This one didn't focus on abuse, as have other teen/YA abduction novels I've read, but on the relationship that develops between the kidnapper and his captive. An engrossing and unique story. I haven't decided what to read next yet.
  • I am still listening to Barbara Kingsolver's latest novel on audio, Flight Behavior, and enjoying it very much.
  • My husband, Ken, just finished Ruins by Orson Scott Card, sequel to Pathfinder. He said it was good, but he liked Pathfinder better. I'm next in line for this one!
  • Now, Ken has just started reading A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood which I recently bought at the local used bookstore. Neither of us has read this sci fi dystopian classic before.
  • Craig, 15, is reading When the Emperor was Divine by Julie Otsuka for his freshman lit class, a novel about the Japanese-American internment during World War II. Ironically, my own neighborhood book group just read the prequel to this book, The Buddha in the Attic, a few months ago, so I am looking forward to reading this one when he is finished with it.
  • Jamie, 18, didn't have time for pleasure reading last week because he's been so busy at college, but he is sick today, with a flare-up of his chronic illnesses, so he is planning to finally dive into A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin, Book 5 in the A Song of Ice and Fire series today. A good book is the perfect antidote to a sick day in bed!
I wrote two new reviews last week:  
The House on Mango Street, a classic novel by Sandra Cisneros
Crispin - Cross of Lead by Avi, a middle-grade novel.

I also posted two lists:
Top Ten Books on My Spring TBR List
Top Ten Kids/Teen Books on My Spring TBR List

Finally, I shared some good news, that two of my essays have been published in a new Chicken Soup book.

What are you and your family reading this week?

(What are you reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, with a kid/teen version hosted by Teach Mentor Texts.)

6 comments:

Erin @ Quixotic Magpie said...

I really loved A Handmaid's Tale. It is such a great book. :)

I am so far behind on the George R.R. Martin series! I have only read books one and two in that series. :(

Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

I love how you include what your husband and son are reading as well!
I am planning to read Stolen as part of the NerdPrintz challenge to read all of the Printz honor and award winning books. It seems like one that will be a gripping story.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I can't tell from what you said here what you thought of Stolen. I was completely captivated by that novel and found myself rooting for the abductor...I think they call that Stockholm Syndrome! I hope your son is feeling better soon.

I'll be on the lookout for a pair of troll earrings for you. I got mine at an antique store in Tacoma several years ago. They make me smile and I think t is funny when people don't comment on them.

Have a lovely week.

Sue Jackson said...

Sorry about that, Anne - I try not to say too much in my little recaps - I save it for me reviews! But I did say it was engrossing - I liked it very much. Hard to know who to root for...

Sue

Lindsey said...

Congratulations on your essays getting published! That must be so exciting.

I try to vary my reading as well, but sometimes there is just a book that jumps the line. Enjoy your books!

Tess said...

The Handmaid's Tale is one of my favorite books of all time! And thanks to your post, I'm going to add Stolen and When the Emperor Was Divine to my TBR list. Following you, and looking forward to your future posts! :)

My IMWAYR List