Monday, May 17, 2010

It's Monday 5/17! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday again - this time of year is so busy!  I've been feeling a little better the past few days and am trying to get caught up on everything that piled up over the past 6 months or so.  I was so proud on Friday when I finally got through the remaining 200 unread e-mails still sitting in my Inbox from spring break - woohoo!  It doesn't take much to make me happy.

We have another busy week coming up, with book group for me, soccer for the boys, a business trip for my husband, and my mom and her husband coming to visit for a couple of days.  But we still find time for some good books:
  • Jamie, 15, finished Freefall by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams, the third book in a wonderful middle-grade underground adventure series that started with Tunnels.  He keeps telling me that this book was amazing, and I need to make time for it (I still need to read book 2, Deeper first).  We're both excited about an upcoming movie version, but Jamie says he hopes they don't try to combine more than one book into the movie - he likes it better when the movies stick close to the books.  We both agree this could be a really cool movie if they get the special effects right.
  • Jamie started The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan, a new teen fantasy novel.  He says it's good so far - a little dark, definitely for teens and not younger kids.  He's already thinking about lending it to a friend of his who kind of gave up on pleasure reading for a while, but Jamie's been working on him - it's so much fun to share great books with friends!
  • I usually alternate between grown-up books and kids/teens books, but I didn't have time this week to squeeze in any kids' books in between two book club reads!  I finished Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos (I enjoyed it) for the library book discussion last week, and I'm now in the middle of Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann for my neighborhood book group - I still have over 200 pages to read before Wednesday!
  • To my great delight, Craig, 12, finished A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle and said he loved it!  When I told him I have the rest of the series, he said, "It's part of a series?!"  He was even more excited to find out that the other books are on his AR list (Accelerated Reader - a program at school where they read books, then take quizzes about them online), so he has started A Wind in the Door.  He came downstairs last night to say, "Can I please stay up 15 more minutes?  This book is so good I can't put it down!"  Craig's not always excited about reading, so I'm loving this - he's not only reading without being made to, but he's hooked on my all-time favorite series.
  • I finished two middle-grade audio books by Polly Horvath - My One Hundred Adventures and Northward to the Moon.  I enjoyed them very much and will post a review this week.
Last week,  I posted a review of Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin, a middle-grade novel written from the perspective of an autistic boy.

What are you and your family reading this week?

(What are you reading Mondays is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.)

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

An excellent reading in your house. Wonderful choices selected by all. My Monday: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/05/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-17-may.html

Jan von Harz said...

Love reading about Craig and Jamie's reading. It is so cool. Hope Jamie gets his friend interested in his current read. Have you read Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper, it sounds a little like Anything But Typical only it is from the POV of a young girl with CP. Beautiful book and a great read.

E.J. Stevens said...

It's Monday!

My What are you reading? is here.

Happy Monday. I loved A Wrinkle in Time! I remember reading it over and over again. :)

xx,
E.J.

parenting ad absurdum said...

My four-year old is obsessed with superheroes, so we're reading a lot of Spiderman and Superman books... he's getting pretty good at sounding out words like "Bam!" and "Pow!" :).

Candace said...

That's great he's loving A Wrinkle in Time! How exciting! I can't wait until my kids (5 and 1) are old enough that they'll be reading some of my favorite chapter books. But we've had a lot of fun reading some of my favorite childrens books too so I suppose I can wait...
Happy Reading!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Hi Sue, so glad to hear you are feeling better! Your kids are reading wonderful books! Books that I want to read! :D

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

I'd love to read your thoughts on LET THE GREAT WORLD SPIN. It kept my interest, but I was distracted by chasing what might have been a factual error (early on he mentions plastic grocery bags being caught in a fence in the Bronx, and they weren't yet in common use in 1978). Ah, well, I have to learn to hone my suspension of disbelief!