We heard that song on the way to the bus stop this morning, and it's very appropriate today! Craig almost missed his bus because he forgot to pack his band stuff, Jamie called and asked me to bring some papers to school that he left at home, and after school I need to take BOTH boys to get x-rays (one wrist, one ankle). Whew, and it's not even 9 am yet.
Thank goodness for good books!
- Jamie, 15, read Morpheus Road, the hot new book by DJ MacHale, author of one of our favorite series, Pendragon. He says the new trilogy is very different from Pendragon but just as compelling! This is next on my list.
- Jamie started Charlie Bone and the Red Knight, Book 8 in The Children of the Red King series by Jenny Nimmo, the latest addition to an old favorite series. This is one of Craig's favorite series, too. It's too new to be on his list at school, but he wants to read it this summer.
- Craig, 12, is still reading The Wind in the Door, the sequel to A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. He's enjoying it, but the nice weather makes it tough for him to sit down and read!
- I finished Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann for my neighborhood book group. Almost everyone liked this complex novel about intersecting lives in New York City, and it was great for discussion.
- Next, I read The Soloist by Steve Lopez for another book group (I've had three book groups in three weeks this month!). Even though I had already seen the movie, I loved the book and read it very quickly. Book or movie, it's a fascinating, moving true story of the friendship between an LA Times reporter and a homeless, schizophrenic man who is a talented musician.
- I have a huge stack of kids' and teen books I want to read, but instead I started Tinkers by Paul Harding. It's due back at the library tomorrow (!), and now that it's won the Pulitzer, the wait list will be miles long, so I decided to try to squeeze it in. I should have lots of reading time this afternoon at the x-ray place!
What are you and your family reading this week?
(What are you reading Mondays is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey).