Good reading last week, too:
- I finally had a chance to finish a wonderful new book, How To Be Sick: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide for the Chronically Ill and Their Caregivers written by a friend of mine, Toni Bernhard. The book is an inspirational guide for anyone dealing with challenges in life (and who isn't?). I posted a review on my other blog, Book By Book.
- I started Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden for my library's book discussion next week. I'm probably the last person on earth to read this best-seller. It's one of those books that I never would have read if not for a book group - it just didn't sound appealing to me, despite all the good reviews. Boy, was I wrong! It's so compelling and well-written, I was hooked from the first chapter.
- Jamie, 15, did manage some reading on his trip - he read City of Ashes, book 2 in Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments series. He's loving this series recommended by a friend of ours.
- Craig, 12, started The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin - part of his summer reading assignment for school.
- My husband, Ken, finally got his hands on a copy of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the first book in Stieg Larsson's hot thriller trilogy. He was still only #137 on the waiting list at the library, so a friend lent it to him.
- On our car trips back and forth to drop off and pick up the kids, we finished listening to First Light by Rebecca Stead on audio. We all loved it - review to come!
What are you and your family reading this week?
(What are you reading Mondays is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.)
I hope Ken enjoys The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's wonderful.
Sounds like a fun week! I love Cassandra Clare - and have heard such good things about Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but it's still on the shelf. Not enough time!
Teens Read and Write
I really enjoyed The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and need to read the next two in the future. It did start of a bit slow, but made up for it later. Hope Craig is enjoying the Westing Game, I could never get into it myself. I have the first book in Clare's Mortal Instruments, but have yet to get to it either. Way too many book on my TBR shelf. Have a great week.
Alyssa - I can relate - my TBR shelf is overflowing!! Too many books, too little reading time...
Jan - That's exactly what I told Ken - that the first quarter or so might seem slow, as you get to know all the characters and all the stuff about Mikael's libel suit, but after that...watch out! Craig's not too into The Westing Game yet (only on pg 27), but he really hates t spend time reading in the summer! Who's child is this??
We read memoirs of a geisha for book club a few years back and I just loved it too. Don't bother with the movie - awful.
Is that a typo or did you just say your husband is #137 for a book at the library? Holy smokes!!! :D
Have a super week Sue!
Thanks for the tip on the movie version!
No, that's no typo - when i first requested the book for him, he was #168 - he was moving up! You can see why he got sick of waiting and borrowed it from a friend! Those must be the hottest books in the US right now.
I just finished The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo. It was an okay mystery but not worth the hype. I'm two days late in making the rounds. Here's what I'm reading this week.
Post a Comment