With Jamie's birthday last week, plus camping preparation, we didn't do a lot of reading but squeezed in a bit:
- I finished Elvis and Olive by Stephanie Watson and posted a review. I really enjoyed this sweet, funny middle-grade novel about two very different girls who become good friends and spend a summer spying.
- I started a novel my husband gave me for my birthday last month, The Little Book by Selden Edwards. It's set in 1890's Vienna, with a main character who has somehow been transported there from 1988 San Francisco. It's good so far with a very intriguing plot - I always enjoy time-travel novels.
- Sixteen-year old Jamie is reading a book we gave him for his birthday last week, Congo by Michael Crichton. He enjoyed Crichton's Sphere this spring, and Congo is my all-time favorite Crichton book, about an ape who can communicate with sign language. He's enjoying it very much so far. It's fun sharing favorites with my kids!
- Twelve-year old Craig - who feels it's a complete waste of time to read during the summer - is still working on The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin for his assigned summer reading. He does like it and says it's getting better and better - he'd just rather be outside running around! He needs to finish it this week because school starts next Monday.
- My husband, Ken, finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson and started right in on The Girl Who Played with Fire. He's loving this series! My mom's husband, who we saw this weekend, is also reading the series on his Kindle, and I gave my sister The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for her birthday this weekend. A runaway family hit!
- Our never-ending trip home yesterday was made much more enjoyable by a new audio book, Boom! by Mark Haddon, the first kids' book by the author of the award-winning The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (which Jamie, Ken, and I have all read). It's a very funny middle-grade adventure book that kept us all laughing even in the midst of traffic. We have just a little bit left to finish tonight (after 9 hours in the car, there was no way we were going to sit in the driveway and finish it last night no matter how good it was!)
What are you and your family reading this week?
(What are you reading Mondays is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey)
Lucky you that the weather has cooled down. Wish it would do that here. I love that your family listens to books together. I am currently listening to Paper Town by John Green and thoroughly enjoying it. I will have to check out Elvis and Olive as it sounds good and something to recommend to my middle school students. Hope you and the family have a great week.
Boom! Sounds so interesting! I really enjoy Haddon. You have so many good reads right now and I still need to get into "The Girl With" series...
Have a great week Sue :D
Post a Comment