Monday, May 16, 2011

It's Monday 5/16! What Are You Reading?

Monday...and another dark, rainy day.  It's supposed to rain all week, with possible thunderstorms and hail today!   I am just hoping life will return to (somewhat) normal this week.

Last week, my family traveled to Washington, DC, to give testimony in front of the CFS Advisory Committee (within the Department of Health and Human Services) about how the immune disorder, ME/CFS, has affected our lives.  If you're interested, you can watch our testimony at this link.  While in town, we also met with a couple of our Congressional representatives to ask for more equitable distribution of funds for ME/CFS research.


Anyway, it was very rewarding but completely exhausting!  My oldest son is still home from school, and I was pretty useless the rest of the week, though feeling better now.  I had no time at all for blogging last week and not much time for reading, either, so please excuse me if I didn't have a chance to visit your blog or reply to your comments.  I hope to be able to make the round this week!  Here's our reading update:
  • I am reading The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht for my neighborhood book group.  It took me a while to get into it because I was only reading about 5 pages a day!  It's very good, and I'm glad to have a chance to read such a hot new novel - I often don't read new books until they've come out in paperback.  Now I need to somehow find time to finish it before Wednesday - it's not looking good!
  • My husband, Ken, is now reading Once a Spy by Keith Thomson, a book I found at the library.  He said he's enjoying it so much that he's also bringing it's sequel, Twice a Spy, with him on a business trip this week (it must be good for him to carry two hardcovers with him!).
  • Jamie, 16, read another 3 Redwall books by Brian Jacques last week, in his quest to re-read the entire series!  Since he's been home sick, this has worked out well - these are his "comfort books," old favorites.
  • Jamie is also reading The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne for his American Lit class...but much more reluctantly than the Redwall books, as you can imagine!
  • I am still listening to Blood, Bones and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef by Gabrielle Hamilton on my iPod.  She has certainly led an interesting life, to say the least!  I think I am almost done with this fascinating memoir.
What are you and your family reading this week?


(What are you reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.)

4 comments:

Annie said...

This is a really interesting list. I have yet to be virtuous enough to red the Scarlet Letter, although I did see Easy A which makes reference to it (and so I feel like I have, lol).
Have a great week and enjoy your books!

Sue Jackson said...

OK, people keep telling me about Easy A. if my son is home sick again tomorrow, I might just have to rent it from Redbox!

Sue

Andrea said...

I read the Scarlet Letter in high school and hate it. Good luck to your son.

Easy A is pretty funny.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

That's what we had going on last week in Minnesota - rain.... every day. This week looks like sun and I am bursting with joy :) I will have to come back and see your testimony - I am on my way to a potluck in 15 minutes and pushing my luck on being on time. :) The Tigers Wife sounds so good!