You can read my list of adult books that came recommended over at Book By Book. I've limited this list to just kids/teen/YA books. This list was a challenge because for years now, most of my kids/teen books are read for review. So, I had to dig a bit to come up with this list. As you'll see, many of the recommendations came from my son, Jamie, now 16, who is an avid reader:
- The Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins – I can't even remember now who recommended this fabulous middle-grade series to me years ago, but I know I wouldn't have chosen to read a series about giant cockroaches and rats on my own (but I'm so glad I did!).
- Pendragon series by D.J. MacHale - my son, Jamie, urged me to read the first Pendragon book, and I ended up reading the entire 10-book series! It's one of my all-time favorites for older middle-grade and teen readers.
- Nothing But the Truth by Justina Chen Headley - a favorite author recommended by talented young blogger, Miss Erin.
- Alabama Moon by Watt Key - my husband chose this middle-grade book, with the help of the staff at our local Indie bookstore, and it is still a family favorite!
- Leviathan and Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld - recommended by both my husband and my son.
- Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater - this is one I never would have read without the recommendations of dozens of my favorite book bloggers.
- Everlost by Neal Shusterman- another one recommended by my son, Jamie. My only regret is that I waited so long to read it - it's one of my favorite teen series.
- The Thief Lord by Cynthia Funke- also recommended by Jamie (seeing a trend here?) - he and my younger son, Craig, became totally enamored of Venice because of this book.
- The Last Treasure by Janet S. Anderson - Jamie again, back in 2006 - I believe his exact words were, "Mom, this is one of the best books Ive ever read!"
- House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer - Jamie bought this one for my husband for his birthday, then we both read it, too - don't you just love gifts like that?
How about you - which books did you read and enjoy because they were recommended?