- I finished reading The Condition by Jennifer Haigh, one of my favorite authors. Like her earlier novel, Baker Towers, this one is also about family. Everyone in my book group enjoyed it very much.
- Because of book group commitments, I've read several adult books in a row without my usual alternating between kids/teen books and grown-up ones, so next I read a teen/YA book, The Deathday Letter by Shaun David Hutchinson. Narrated by a teen boy who knows he will die in 24 hours, this was a bit crude, but its dark humor and thoughtful ending grew on me.
- Now I'm reading The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon, a local author here in Delaware. I loved her two memoirs, Riding the Bus with My Sister and Building a Home with my Husband. This novel about a young mentally handicapped woman locked up in an instituation in the 50's and 60's is absolutely wonderful - I was completely hooked within the first chapter (perfect for sick days!).
- My husband, Ken, is reading Num8ers by Rachel Ward, a teen/YA thriller, based on my recommendation.
- 16-year old Jamie is still working his way through a re-reading of the entire Redwall series by Brian Jacques, in between getting through his last weeks of school. He says he has only 3 books left to go!
What are you and your family reading this week? Hope you're enjoying the holiday weekend!
(What are you reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey).