A bit of a rough week here last week, with both my son and I down with a flare-up of our chronic illnesses. We had a nice weekend, though, and enjoyed a visit from my mom and her husband. All that downtime last week left lots of time for reading:
- I finished The Roar by Emma Clayton, a teen sci fi novel that my son recommended and enjoyed it very much. We are both hoping there will be a sequel!
- I read the classic picture book A Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes for the library's book discussion but then wasn't able to go to the meeting.
- I referred to my Fall Into Reading Challenge list to choose my next book and settled on Midwives by Chris Bohjalian, a novel my neighbor lent me a very long time ago!
- My husband, Ken, brought one of his birthday gifts, The Affair by Lee Child, on his business trip with him last week. He'd been saving it for a time when he needed some light, fun reading. I asked him last night how it was, and he said, "Candy!"
- Ken is now back to reading Behemoth, the second book in the Leviathan trilogy, by Scott Westerfeld.
- Jamie, 17, was home sick, so he plowed through a lot of books, including all of the new books he bought at Barnes & Noble the week before (gotta love a kid who spends several weeks' allowance all on books!). He read Book Four: Necropolis of the series, The Gatekeepers by Anthony Horowitz.
- Next he read Book 8: The Kings of Clonmel of the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan, another of his favorite series.
- Jamie read The Demon King, a Seven Realms novel by Cinda Williams Chima and loved it. he wants to read more by this author.
- And he is finishing Graceling by Kristin Cashore, author of Fire which he also enjoyed.
- Craig, 13, is reading Revenge of the Witch, Book One in the series The Last Apprentice by Joseph Delaney, based on recommendation from his brother and a friend. he says it is good but too scary to read at bedtime!
- A review of the audio memoir Trail of Crumbs: Hunger, Love, and the Search for Home by Kim Sunée
- A review of the classic picture book A Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes
- Top Ten Books That Took Me Out of My Comfort Zone
- Top Ten Kids/Teen Books That Took Me Out of My Comfort Zone
- My reading summary for October
- A discussion of a book that had a tremendous impact on my life (grown-up)
- A kids' book that had a tremendous impact on my life
- A link to Publisher's Weekly Top Children's Books of 2011 list.
What are you and your family reading this week?
(What are you reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.)
Post a Comment