We enjoyed a wonderful weekend camping at nearby Elk Neck State Park in Maryland - the first time we've had our pop-up camper out of the garage in a full year! It was just a little 24-hour getaway, but it was so nice to be outdoors (and away from the to-do lists!) in this glorious spring-like weather - we walked to the beach, enjoyed our favorite "dinner in foil" camping meal, sat around the campfire and ate s'mores....and of course, relaxed with our books!
Here's what we read this week:
- I finished The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender, an unusual novel - I enjoyed both reading it and discussing it with my library's book group. You can check out my review here.
- While at the library for the book discussion, I stopped by the YA section and finally - finally! - found a John Green novel to read, An Abundance of Katherines. Thanks to all of you who've been telling me for years what a great writer Green is. I know this isn't even one of his top, award-winning novels, but I enjoyed it very much.
- Now, I am reading Bill Bryson's hilarious memoir, The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, which has been waiting on my TBR shelf for years and recommended by my husband. It's wonderful so far!
- My husband, Ken, is reading Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian, based on my recommendation, after I read it for my neighborhood book group a couple of weeks ago. He's enjoying it.
- Jamie, 17, had another long sick week, so he had lots of reading time. He finished Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (for the second time) and loved it. He recommended it this weekend to Craig's friend who came camping with us. Jamie and I are both anxiously awaiting Book 2, Ruins, due to be released in October.
- To Jamie's delight, Book 2 of the Beyonders series arrived from the publisher mid-week, so he first re-read Book 1, A World Without Heroes by Brandon Mull, then quickly moved onto Book 2, Seeds of Rebellion. He says it was amazing! (see the photo of him enjoying the book while we were camping).
- Now, Jamie is re-reading The Magician of Hoad by Margaret Mahy. He wanted to start with her earlier novel, Maddigan's Fantasia, but after a thorough search, we figured out that he'd lent it to a friend years ago and never got it back. This is one of Jamie's all-time favorite authors!
- Craig, 14, is reading Book 3 of The Last Apprentice by Joseph Delaney, Night of the Soul Stealer. He's enjoying this series.
What are you and your family reading this week?
(What are you reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, with a kid/teen version at Teach Mentor Texts.)
|Jamie enjoying Beyonders during our camping weekend.