May was a lovely but hectic month here. I read fewer books than usual but included a couple of long (and very good) novels. Here's what I read in May:
- The Game of Sunken Places by M.T. Anderson, a middle-grade adventure novel (Vermont)
- The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson, which recently won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction (North Korea)
- The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate, a middle-grade audio book (Georgia I think)
- American Pastoral by Philip Roth, a classic American novel (New Jersey)
- Tommysaurus Rex, a middle-grade graphic novel (location not specified)
So, it was an all-fiction month - two adult novels and three middle-grade reads, one on audio. My favorite of the month - and maybe of the year so far! - was The Orphan Master's Son, a gripping, fascinating novel set in North Korea.
2013 Reading Challenges Update:
I added 3 new states and one country to my 2013 Where Are You Reading Challenge - making good progress there! I read just one book off my TBR shelf (The Game of Sunken Places) for the 2013 TBR Pile Challenge- lots of library and review books last month. I added one more audio book to my 2013 Audio Book Challenge, bringing me up to 4 for the year so far. And, finally, I added one more book (American Pastoral) to my Those Books I Should Have Read 2013 Challenge because I've been meaning to read a Roth novel for ages.
What was your favorite book read in May?