Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Top Ten Travel-Themed Books

It's Tuesday and that means it's Top Ten Day over at The Broke and the Bookish. I haven't had much time for participating in Top Ten Tuesday lately, but I just had to jump in on this one because I love to travel and I love books that are about traveling. I have defined "travel" rather loosely for this list, including some historical fiction and time-travel plots!

So, here are My Top Ten Kids/Teen/YA Books with Travel Themes:
  • Lionboy by Zizou Corder, an extraordinary middle-grade trilogy about a boy who can talk to cats (including lions) whose action moves through England, France, Venice, Africa, and Caribbean - it made us reach for our atlas and want to travel to all these places!
  • Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson, a teen/YA novel and one of my all-time favorite road trip books! The scrapbook style and details of places visited on a cross-country trip adds to its appeal.
  • The Roman Mysteries by Caroline Lawrence, a great mystery series for middle-graders that puts the reader in the middle of Ancient Rome.
  • Pendragon series by D.J. MacHale, a favorite of both my son and I, this series takes "travel" to a whole different dimension, with each book taking place in a different world!
  • Alabama Moon by Watt Key, a middle-grade novel and a favorite of our whole family, takes place in rural Alabama where an orphaned boy tries to survive on his own.
  • Northward to the Moon by Polly Horvath, sequel to the middle-grade hit My One Hundred Adventures follows Jane and her family as they travel across the country in their station wagon.
  • The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo, the heartfelt tale of a lost stuffed rabbit whose journeys are both geographical and emotional.
  • The Mystery of the Third Lucretia by Susan Runholt, first in a series of middle-grade novels that combine mystery and travel to exotic locations - this one takes place in London, Amsterdam, and Paris.
  • The Gate of Days by Guillaume Prévost, a time-travel novel for middle-graders but there's also plenty of travel to different places.
  • The Girls of No Return by Erin Saldin, a teen/YA novel set in the backwoods of Idaho - not exactly a vacation story (it's about a reform camp for wayward girls), but the location is wonderful!
I would love to hear about your favorite books with a travel theme - anyone know of other great roadtrip or time travel novels for me? Those are my favorites.

(I listed favorite grown-up travel-themed books over at Book By Book.)

No comments: